Hey everybody! I’m back from KY. Thank you so much for supporting me so I could experience this awesome week. I just wanted to send this as an update and to show you the result of your prayers and support:
A drop of sweat slides down my forehead and down my face. After taking a swig of water I scan the area. My eye is suddenly caught by the beauty of a smile. A smile on a face that doesn’t smile often.
This is the story of a lot of kids but 4 girls in particular:
A teenage girl showed up at Sunday night with an unsmiling face. It seemed whatever we did-water games, activities, fun songs, etc. - she would not show any happiness on her face. It was later at the debriefing time that I found out her story.
Her dad passed away and soon after, her mom ran away. She lives with her 2 older brothers. I think that they were about late high school, early college age. She had a lot of sadness in her.
That night we made a promise to try and let her be herself this week. We hoped we could lighten the load a little bit, if only for 3 days.
She came sporadically to V.B.S. Coming one day, leaving early the next, and not coming at all the last day. But it was on Wednesday night that I ever really interacted with her. The Happy Church holds a youth Service every Wednesday but it was pretty unstructured. My Youth pastor’s wife, Jess, me and another girl invited her to play cards. She shrugged and we took that as a yes. At first as we were playing she would only talk when she had to. But about our second or third game she was showing some emotions. In this game, Dutch Blitz, you have to race you opponent to get a card in the pile first. It was funny because when we got beat we would get naturally frustrated and beat our fists against the table or grunt loudly. And we would all get a kick out of each other’s frustration. It was cool because I saw her smiling in her sleeve as if she didn’t want anyone to know. Still-she was smiling.
One thing that was also awesome is that she showed up at the carnival. I didn’t get to spend too much time with her, but it was cool because she looked like she was having fun.
A drop of sweat slides down my forehead and down my face. After taking a swig of water I scan the area. My eye is suddenly caught by the beauty of a smile. A smile on a face that doesn’t smile often.
This is the story of a lot of kids but 4 girls in particular:
A teenage girl showed up at Sunday night with an unsmiling face. It seemed whatever we did-water games, activities, fun songs, etc. - she would not show any happiness on her face. It was later at the debriefing time that I found out her story.
Her dad passed away and soon after, her mom ran away. She lives with her 2 older brothers. I think that they were about late high school, early college age. She had a lot of sadness in her.
That night we made a promise to try and let her be herself this week. We hoped we could lighten the load a little bit, if only for 3 days.
She came sporadically to V.B.S. Coming one day, leaving early the next, and not coming at all the last day. But it was on Wednesday night that I ever really interacted with her. The Happy Church holds a youth Service every Wednesday but it was pretty unstructured. My Youth pastor’s wife, Jess, me and another girl invited her to play cards. She shrugged and we took that as a yes. At first as we were playing she would only talk when she had to. But about our second or third game she was showing some emotions. In this game, Dutch Blitz, you have to race you opponent to get a card in the pile first. It was funny because when we got beat we would get naturally frustrated and beat our fists against the table or grunt loudly. And we would all get a kick out of each other’s frustration. It was cool because I saw her smiling in her sleeve as if she didn’t want anyone to know. Still-she was smiling.
One thing that was also awesome is that she showed up at the carnival. I didn’t get to spend too much time with her, but it was cool because she looked like she was having fun.
* * * * *
Imagine living in a trailer with your five younger siblings and parents who are drug addi
Her actions spoke to me though. Watching her, I’m thinking, “Sometimes I complain when I have to watch my little siblings for 5 minutes. Not to mention all day.” I will always remember her.
* * * * *
The first day of VBS
I noticed a girl with a smile not any where to be found on her face. The first day she was not participating in any thing. Later in debriefing that night I was told she had sores all over her mouth, so it was painful to talk. So it was surprising when the next day, we were playing a game and she was actually talking in it and participating. And last day, a whole different person walked through those church doors. She was singing and doing the motions in worship, she was talking and interacting so much more, and she even addressed me and asked me a question. I found out later she is the oldest of eight. They all live in a trailer. She showed up at the carnival and it was awesome because she was sticking to me like glue. I learned from that experience to never under estimate the power of a smile.
* * * * *
I noticed a girl with a smile not any where to be found on her face. The first day she was not participating in any thing. Later in debriefing that night I was told she had sores all over her mouth, so it was painful to talk. So it was surprising when the next day, we were playing a game and she was actually talking in it and participating. And last day, a whole different person walked through those church doors. She was singing and doing the motions in worship, she was talking and interacting so much more, and she even addressed me and asked me a question. I found out later she is the oldest of eight. They all live in a trailer. She showed up at the carnival and it was awesome because she was sticking to me like glue. I learned from that experience to never under estimate the power of a smile.* * * * *
Before V.B.S, we
would go out to the trailer parks and pass out fliers so that people are informed. While we were doing this I noticed a girl who was pulling a wagon.She was there during V.B.S, but of what I observed, she didn’t look like she was having a lot of fun. One time, at the carnival, I was looking around from the inflatable I was running. She was on another inflatable where you tried to run as far as you could as a bungee cord tries to pull you back. She was laughing and smiling and I wanted to take a picture of her smile before it disappeared again.
My heart skipped a beat while I prayed the prayer of salvation with 2 kids at V.B.S. This was one of the best times of the whole week. Please be praying for them. I don’t know if
Love, Caroline
Some kids at the Sunday night service
4 comments:
caroline-you brought tears to my eyes. you rock and i still want to be like you when i grow up. :) thanks for sharing!
I agree with Shelley! You do rock! Can't wait to enjoy the rest of the summer with you! I love you!
-Mom
No no no no no YOU GUYS rock!
Thanks though.
those were such neat testimony's sounds like you had quite the week. It reminds me of the ministry that our church has with a local trailer park. God is awesome and I love to hear how He works. :)
Post a Comment