Tuesday, August 08, 2006

5 Senses of Ethiopia: Sights

I can't stop thinking about our time in Ethiopia. Mainly, I keep experincing the five senses of our experience. The sights are what keep popping up in my head without any prompting. There are pictures of the wonderful people that we shared our time. There is Dagne the main contact person with CWA Ethiopia. His huge smile that lights up a room and his genuine love for the children are so evident in his smile. Behailu, is a man that can be recognized by his relationships. It truly seemed that the love of Christ flowed through the way he spoke with respect and cared for the people he encountered on a daily basis. The nannies shared their compassion, love and nurturing touch on all the children. We saw them a few times at the Hotel and when they accompanied us to the embassy appointment. Though they had deep connections with the children they felt comfortable in entrusting us with their care when the time came. Cassahun, the CWA driver, is cheerful and willing to help. He stretched his English to try to answer our many questions. He was so pleasant to be around! There were also those that we didn't get to know well but stick out in my mind. The beggars that press up against the door of the taxi asking "Please Mother, Food or money?" Wow, that was the hardest part and I have thought over and over how I might do that differently when I return. There are many precious faces of the street children that we saw roaming around. I will never forget the two boys barefoot and flithy wouldn't even discribe their presence. Hand in hand with smiles on their faces they went looking for the next adventure that may lie ahead. Many boys approached our car as we left one shopping area on Church Hill Road. As one boy said, "Please mother" and then placed his hand to his mouth, I remembered that I had an apple in my bag. I quickly gave it to him as we pulled out and remember seeing him and another boy hide it between them and run to another bigger boy. They gave it to him and he took a big bite. I often wondered, "Did the bigger boy share it with the others or take it for himself." Food was such a big commodity! And we take it for granted. Another snap shot I remember is the warm countenance and helpfullness about the people. Many would help us to the right shops, to the right directions or answer our questions with joy. I truly felt like the Ethiopians were so welcoming of us foriegners andwanting to come to our aid and help. Once when I had to change a diaper for Asher in a fairly nice restaurant the restroom help practically did the whole thing for me and used her minimal English in the process. I truly felt cared for by many Ethiopians. There were also sights of incredible poverty and amazing sites of innovation. There was dark, dirty lifestyles and plush green beautiful landscapes. Their were many people carrying or toting around food in hand made dollies made from anything and everything. Bamboo sticks string and small wheels and who knows where they got those. The best and most wonderful sight of our trip to Ethiopia was the people and the joy of God's love in their faces. It was evident in the children at AHOPE which is a AIDS orphanage we visited, we saw it in the people on the streets, the store attendents and in the Staff at CWA Ethiopia and it is seen everyday in the wide eyes of our son Asher Bradley Ewing!

2 comments:

shell said...

I loved reading this! It brought back so many memories. I wish I had more time to sit and remember. :) It seems like forever ago!!
Love you guys, hopefully we will see you if we ever make it to cincy with this clan

cath said...

wow, how vivid your memories are. Are you creating a scrapbook for him? If Mom or Ruth ask if they can help you, you can give them things to put in a book for him. I'm sure you've thought of this already. I forget who I'm talking to. I'll send you pictures soon of your entire family.