Monday, August 21, 2006

5 Senses of Ethiopia: Sound

So many sounds . . . where do I begin. We were awoken the first morning which happened to be Sunday to chanting music that blared in the distance. At first, we thought this was a muslim call to prayer, but as we inquired from some staff of our agency they told us that it was a call to worship by the Orthodox Christian Church and it made sense since we didn't hear it again until Wednesday night's call to worship for the mid-week service. We weren't sure how it was broadcasted but you could hear it from quite a distance. The sound of horns filled the street because people and animals where dense and the only way for a taxi driver to manage it's way through the streets was to warn the animals and pedistrians that he was coming and coming FAST! The sounds of the Amharic language fill the air wherever you are. It seems to roll of the tongue, but not mine have you! It is an interesting language and although so strange seems vaguely familiar. Thankfully the sound of English was very common as well! I wish I could tell you I heard many children laughing but to be honest that only took place with our own children and when we visited an orphanage and started playing with the children. Mostly I hear the voices of children approaching our taxis and saying, "Please Mother, Food" or "Please Mother, one doller" it was so hard to hear and it rings in my head still almost on a daily basis. The beautiful sounds of Ethiopia are of the songs we heard at the crown hotel in the variety of music and dance we witnessed from the different people groups all around Ethiopia. The music is lively and full of a rich beat. You will not find yourself standing still for long and you get swept into the beat and movement of the rhythm. It is full of life and joy and is appreciated by all no matter what part of Ethiopia you are from. Lastly, the sounds of many animals come to mind during our stay in Addis. The roosters wake you, the donkeys greet you on the road and the birds remind you of their beautiful presence. Though rare in our experience, I prefer the laughter of the Ethiopian children over any sound in Addis!

1 comment:

God's Beautiful Chaos said...

Don't forget the sound of diesel trucks everywhere! Thanks for your posts. I am hoping to write more of our story soon. Love, Sandra