Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fun Food

I have the amazing opportunity to learn how to cook Ethiopian food one Sunday afternoon. The kitchen smelled like onions and lots of spices. And I've learned that onion, berberre (sp?), ginger and garlic pretty much go into EVERY THING. I had my camera the whole time we cooked but I was enjoying the time with friends and the experience I forgot to get it out. We literally cooked for over 4 hours and I left early. For those of you that know your Ethiopian cusine we made (which really means I chopped onions and watched) these dishes: Shiro, Misra Alecha, Spinach (my favorite - Caroline's too), Siga Wat, Spicy Lentils, Siga Be Alecha, and Tibs. I hope I can remember what we did when I try it on my own. My only problem is Caroline and I are the only ones in our family that like Ethiopian. Anyone have any ideas to get Asher to like it. I hope it grows on him :)!

For those of you who haven't experienced Ethiopian food you take a piece of the injera (the rolled sour flat bread) and pick up some of the stews (called "Wet") and eat with your hands. There are no untenils used in the meal and if you know the people you are dinning with they help to serve you a bit or two and this shows their respect for you. This is usually all served on one big platter and you dining party is to sit around together and dig in!




2 comments:

cath said...

i enjoy new foods and while living in mexico, I know that food that doesn't necessarily look good can taste quite good. Your pictures don't necessarily look super yummy to me I am sure they are better than they look.

Ashley said...

I'm proud of you for making Ethiopian food. I have a cook book, tried making injera once and it was close to being a disaster. I want to have Izzy try some and see if he still likes it!